Jet Ski Regulations and Kiteboarding/Sailboarding Times
- No person may operate a personal watercraft between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise.
- Personal watercraft must be at all times operated in a reasonable and prudent manner. Maneuvers which unreasonably or unnecessarily endanger life, limb, or property, including, but not limited to weaving through congested traffic, shall constitute reckless operation f a vessel and are prohibited.
- No person under the age of sixteen (16) shall operate a personal watercraft on the waters of the town unless an adult accompanies him/her or unless he/she has evidence he/she passed a boating safety course approved by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management or the United States Coast Guard.
- It is unlawful for the owner of any personal watercraft to authorize or knowingly permit the same to be operated by a person under sixteen (16) years of age in violation of this section unless the provisions of the above section are met.
- No person shall operate a personal watercraft within (200) feet of swimmers, divers, the shore or moored vessels except at a headway speed.
- Personal watercraft when launched from shore or returning to shore must proceed directly to the area where operation is allowed in a direction as near perpendicular to the shore as possible and not in excess of headway speed.
- No person shell operate a personal watercraft unless he or she and any passenger is wearing a personal flotation device which is approved by the United States Coast Guard.
- No person shall operate a personal watercraft in a reckless manner as to endanger life, limb or property of another.
- No person shall operate any personal watercraft unless it is numbered in accordance with Rhode Island General Law 46-22-4.
- No person shall operate a personal watercraft unless the personal watercraft is equipped by the manufacturer with a lanyard type engine cut off switch which must be attached to the operator of the personal watercraft.
- No Jet Ski’s will be fueled on the beach.
Kiteboarding and/or sailboarding is prohibited in the designated swim area at Sachuest Beach during the period from May 15 to October 1, of any year.